Monday, June 6, 2011

DMG Sample Level Stocking Project - Complete Key

The map for Alaxxx's Pofflsnoo, a level 3 dungeon for Labyrinth Lord.

I am happy to present to you the entirety of my DMG Sample Level Stocking Project in one convenient downloadable pdf.  This fantastic, free dungeon level, called Alaxxx's Pofflsnoo, is made freely available for you to download, use, modify, run games with, and do with as you choose.

To get the whole story of how I stocked this level, please refer to James C.'s original announcement of the project, his updated list of participants, and my stocking installments Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, and Part 9.

This has been a fun and educational project for me and I am very happy with the results. This is the very first time I have randomly stocked a dungeon level to this extent, and what I learned along the way is that random dungeon stocking is like a secret game-show that the DM gets to play! It is actually great FUN to roll randomly to see what goes in the rooms, then to have to make on-the-spot judgment calls about how the various random results "fit" (or don't quite fit) together. I think random dungeon stocking provides a space in which to flex one's improvisational skills and DM creativity, and I plan to do LOTS more random dungeon stocking in the future. SPECIAL THANKS to James C. at A Dungeon Master's Tale for launching this whole endeavor in the first place.

In the end, I couldn't really come up with a title that summed up the whole level very well -- the hackneyed "The Lonely Halls" was the best I could do at first. So instead I went with a more whimsical, yet more truly characteristic name for the level: Alaxxx's Pofflsnoo. Perhaps in keeping with the random fashion in which this dungeon level was stocked, it is appropriate that it should be named after The Lands of Ara's most famous proponent of arcane randomness, Alaxxx Leprongo Kulikkx.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Carter. Thanks for submitting your rooms and playing along. I'll update the home base post with the link to your .pdf and hopefully be joining you soon across the finish line.

    ReplyDelete